The latest in all-ceramic (porcelain) Dental Crowns
At Argyle Street Family Dental we want to help you put your best smile forward. We understand certain dental work; especially crowns, are a life-long investment and therefore can be a difficult decision to make. To help you pick the right fit, we are discussing two of the most in-demand all-ceramic (porcelain) crowns on offer at Argyle Street Family Dental.
What Types of White Dental Crowns Are There?
For many years, porcelain-fused-to-metal (PFM) crowns have been the dominant pick for repair of damaged teeth. Whilst, PFM have continually served customers well, due to increased interest in aesthetics and metal-free restorations, the demand for all-ceramic crowns has gained momentum. There are two particular types of all-ceramic crowns growing in popularity, namely, the IPS e.max and porcelain fused to zirconia.
What is an IPS e.max Crown?
IPS e.max crown is a metal-free type of all-ceramic dental crown comprised of both lithium disilicate and zirconium oxide. In fact, IPS e.max is an example of state of the art technology when it comes to dental innovations.
The most well known advantages of IPS e.max crowns include:
- Appearance: IPS e.max crowns are translucent in colour allowing them to offer a natural and unnoticeable appearance.
- Strength & Durability: the needle-like crystal structure offers excellent strength and durability, allowing for more fracture strength than crowns reinforced with metal.
- Compatibility: offers good abrasion compatibility with remaining untouched teeth, making them a comfortable fit.
What is a Porcelain fused to Zirconia (PFZ) Crown?
Just like the name implies, porcelain fused to zirconia (PFZ) is a metal-free crown made from the material zirconia. Zirconia is also used in medical devices and artificial joints.
The most well known advantages of PFZ crowns include:
- Strength: The strength of zirconia dental crowns is highly impressive and is one of its standout features compared to other materials.
- Appearance: zirconia dental crowns are know for their ability to blend in well with remaining untouched teeth, making them hard to spot.
- Compatibility: zirconia dental crowns have been proven to have excellent compatibility with surrounding tissue by improving blood circulation and protecting nerves of the oral cavity, critical for overall dental health.
Comparing IPS e.max vs PFZ Dental Crowns
IPS e.max and PFZ share close similarities and offer the best of both worlds, namely strength and aesthetics. However, there are minor differences, which makes each type more suitable for different dental work. Specifically, due to the translucent nature of IPS e.max, this material is more likely to be used at the front of the mouth and is unable to be used to block out dark coloured teeth. On the other hand, PFZ, being less translucent has the ability to block out dark coloured teeth and due to its robust crystal form is more likely to be used at the back of the mouth.
At Argyle Street Family Dental we are all about unique personalised dental care and strive to make sure we can offer you the greatest technologies in dental care. If interested in learning more about IPS e.max or PFZ crowns, we would love to hear from you today!